VIP (Vermont Information Processing) is looking for a Systems Engineer to assist in the building, maintenance, and troubleshooting of our rapidly expanding infrastructure in Colchester, VT. This person will be part of a talented team of engineers that demonstrate superb technical competency, delivering mission-critical infrastructure and ensuring the highest levels of availability, performance and security on the VIP systems. The primary responsibility of this role will be the support of x86 hardware running Windows and Linux (mostly VM based), networking equipment (primarily Cisco), and other supporting applications within our infrastructure.
- Manage and monitor all installed systems and infrastructure including x86-based servers, applications running on those servers, and the services the infrastructure provides.
- Install, configure, test and maintain operating systems, application software and system management tools
- Proactively ensure the highest levels of systems and infrastructure availability
- Maintain security, backup, and redundancy strategies
- Provide IT-based support to VIP employees
- Write and maintain custom scripts to increase system efficiency and lower the human intervention time on any tasks
- Participate in the design and documentation of information and operational support systems
- Liaise with vendors and other IT personnel for problem resolution
- Additional responsibilities will include the support of reverse proxy servers (ie. HAProxy), web servers (ie. Tomcat), and other applications within our infrastructure.
- Enterprise level skills and awareness are vital
- Detailed oriented with an understanding and appreciation for change control
- Solid scripting skills
- Strong written communication skills with the ability to document accurately and thoroughly
- Must be able to work independently and in a team environment
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related subject with 3 to 5 years experience.
- A proven working experience in installing, configuring and troubleshooting Linux & Windows based environment
- Solid networking knowledge (OSI network layers, TCP/IP)
- Understanding of Nutanix hyperconverged infrastructure (AOS, AHV, etc) desired
- Experience with virtualization and containerization desired
- Experience with cloud environments such as AWS, Azure, and/or GCP preferred
- Knowledge of general infrastructure concepts such as DNS, DHCP, Active Directory