89 North®, a wholly owned subsidiary of Chroma Technology Corp, develops innovative products for the biomedical imaging market. We focus on development of high-performance light sources for fluorescence-based applications including fluorescence microscopy, automated DNA sequencing, HTS/HCS, real time PCR and microarray analysis
JOIN OUR AWARD-WINNING TEAM! Recognized as a Best Places to Work in Vermont and awarded the DCD Outstanding Vermont Business of the Year, Chroma Technology Corp. is a 100% employee-owned company and certified B corporation. We are able to offer an extremely generous package of benefits, rewards, and a value-driven work environment. Join our team of collaborative employee-owners who are self-motivated, independent workers willing to strategize and together work towards the long-term prosperity of the company.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Mechanical Engineer!
The Mechanical Engineer provides engineering design, modeling, and drafting support to various teams across the organization. They work closely with production engineers and technicians on new capabilities and continuous improvement projects. They also work closely with product developers to create manufacturing drawings for our customers and vendors.
Primary Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
• Design and document mechanical parts and assemblies including, but not limited to, enclosures, opto-mechanical and thermal sub-systems
• In collaboration with the product development team, develop and implement mechanical solutions to satisfy product and regulatory requirements managing the constraints of space, time, cost, manufacturability, function, and performance
• Contribute to system design aspects and processes of product development
• Build prototypes to support development and design process milestones
• Develop project documentation including specifications, 3D solid models, 2D drawings, plans and presentations to capture and communicate the mechanical design to achieve defined project goals
• Generate and maintain standard mechanical design packages, including detailed mechanical drawings for part fabrication and assemblies; execute 89 North procedures related to design and change control
• Contribute to the development and implementation of efficient and repeatable validation and production test methodologies; collaborate with suppliers and contract manufacturers to define and validate production processes
• Plan, perform, and document design substantiation verification and validation activities, both analytical and empirical
• Identify and document standard repair work instructions, as well as non-standard deviations; lead mechanical aspects of product service programs
• Interface with contract manufacturers and suppliers to support RFI/RFQ processes, resolution of issues, and opportunities for improvement
• Research components and technologies, perform trade studies to identify best solutions
• Drive continual improvement of the mechanical design process: maximize capabilities of available tools, implement and maintain best practices
• Participate in or lead (as assigned) corrective and preventive action processes, non-conformance mitigations, change review board activities, and continual improvement projects
• Stay abreast of relevant industry and technology advancements; attend training to stay current with design techniques and CAD tool advancements
Required Education, Experience, and Eligibility Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field
• Minimum 7 years’ experience in mechanical design
• Experience in an integrated product development environment
• Experience in electronic packaging
• Experience in design of optomechanical subassemblies
• Thorough knowledge and understanding of materials and fabrication processes
• Proficiency with SolidWorks
• Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with co-workers, customers, and suppliers
Preferred Education, Experience, and Eligibility Qualifications:
• 10+ years’ experience in mechanical design
• Optomechanical design expertise
• Experience with PTC Windchill
Please visit our career page at www.89north.com to review the full job description, summary of benefits, and to apply online.
89 North is an employee-owned company and equal opportunity employer.