We are seeking contractors to add to our in-house development pool on a project or retainer basis. Scout Digital seeks a self-motivated and results-driven WordPress/PHP Developer who has a passion for creating elegant solutions with clean code.
Reporting directly to the Director of Development, you’ll assist the development department in new site builds, feature requests, internal testing, quality control.
When working for Scout Digital as contractor, you must possess a working knowledge of digital tools and remote work that will allow for seamless integration into our team via our organizational suite of tools.
You should be comfortable with version control (we use GIt/GitHub/Bitbucket), build tools (like Grunt & Gulp) and have deep knowledge of the WordPress core functions and PHP’s native functions. We build performant hand coded websites with as few plugins or options as possible, to maintain the best UX and highest page speeds as possible. Therefore, you should have a deep knowledge of the WordPress loop, WordPress’ template hierarchy, creating custom post types & taxonomies and experience with the REST API. A solid understanding of front-end technologies as a whole is beneficial as well. Scout Digital is a fast-paced environment focused on client success, but this is balanced with the focus on our team members and ensuring their success & continued personal and professional development. We work hard, create great work together, and grow and learn in leaps & bounds. As we are a small team that works closely together, excellent communication skills are required for success.
- Building custom WordPress sites with our proprietary theme framework which heavily leverages ACF dynamic content blocks
- Build efficient, testable, and reusable PHP modules
- Use clean, consistent, and commented syntax throughout your project and structure your file system according to our standards
- Integrate with 3rd party API’s and leverage 3rd party JS libraries as needed to create custom features for client projects (think Mapbox.js, Square Developer’s API, etc.)
- Solve complex performance problems and architectural challenges
- Manage DNS changes across servers for all manner of operations
- Manage repos in GitHub or Bitbucket and on our servers
- Identify and recommend areas of improvement in our products or workflow
- Communicate clearly and effectively with our design team and the client when necessary and in our daily standups
- Minimum 3 years experience developing in WordPress
- Strong knowledge of PHP & WordPress Core functions
- Experience with Advanced Custom Fields
- Masterful understanding of HTML/SCSS
- Strong knowledge of JS for front-end development
- Proficient understanding of version control systems (such as Git)
- Some experience with Build Tools (Grunt, Gulp, or others)
- Solid understanding of the Command Line tools
Nice to Have’s
- Familiarity with SQL/MySQL databases and their declarative query languages
- Experience managing or operating Linux servers
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines