Serve as a key member of the academic affairs leadership team by coordinating, supervising, and leading all functions and services of Vermont State (previously Vermont Technical College) University’s Registrar’s Office including but not limited to optimization of the academic schedule, the student information system, registration, grading, degree and enrollment verification, academic records management, transcripts, compliance, transfer articulation, graduation auditing, end of term processing, and awarding of degrees.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee the management of policies, processes, and operations of the Registrar’s Office and provide leadership, innovation, vision, and accountability for the management of all records, registration policies, and services that support student success.
- Provide oversight for integrity and accuracy of student academic record-keeping and transcript production and integrity in compliance with the University’s academic policies and standards.
- Oversee the conformity of educational record use, dissemination, and privacy of student information to University policies and legal requirements, including the Family Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and other applicable laws and regulations as well as those of other regulatory agencies.
- Oversee the implementation and effective use of systems for student information, degree audit, perceptive content, and other systems.
- Provide leadership as the key liaison to IT Shared Services for issues pertaining to all services provided by the Registrar’s Office including the development and maintenance of computerized records and registration systems.
- Provide strategic input and develops recommendations for the implementation of technology applications in support of enhanced services for students, faculty, and staff.
- Monitor and verify student enrollment data essential for official internal and external reporting related to academic and student records including the National Student Clearinghouse, auditors, and accreditors, as needed.
- Supervise the maintenance of the degree audit system and provide oversight for the monitoring of students’ progress toward degree completion.
- Responsible for accurate and timely Veterans and NCAA compliance.
- Promote and maintain effective relationships with faculty, staff, and academic partners across campus and other institutions, collaborating on issues relating to curriculum, university policies, and other areas of Registrar responsibilities.
- Oversee training, development, and maintenance of procedure manuals, regulations, and systems within the Registrar’s office for the university community.
- Supervise, train, manage, evaluate, and develop staff within the office.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Reports directly to the VP of Academic Affairs / Provost.
Hires new employees, schedules employee work hours and grants time-off, evaluates employee performance, develops, coaches and counsels employees, takes disciplinary actions, and provides recommendations on handling employee grievances and complaints.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCES
- Master’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of five (5) years of related work experience in higher education administration, academic records administration, or related field.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience working with a student information system such as PeopleSoft, Colleague, or Banner.
- Experience in understanding of administrative matters across higher education.
- Experience in understanding of FERPA and experience with issues related to the protection of confidential student records.
- Supervisory experience and track record of office leadership in a fast-paced environment in an institution of higher education.
- Demonstrated success in leading, planning, implementing, and adapting to change.
- Minimum of four (4) years of experience working with Colleague.
- Fluent in understanding and effective use of information technology.
- Proven strong focus on the student experience and student success.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of trends, issues, and accepted practices relevant to the position.
- Knowledge of enterprise-scale student information systems, processes, and management comprehensive knowledge in enrollment systems and well-versed in the requirements and processes of a successful Registrar.
- Strong understanding of best practices in student registration and records and understands the role of the Registrar in strategic enrollment management and student success.
- Proven experience and on-going commitment to developing own professional knowledge and the professional knowledge of team members regarding diversity, equity, inclusion and social justice and how it informs practices within functional area.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong organizational and conceptualization skills.
- Successful record of interacting with professionals across disciplines.
- Detail-oriented and customer service and compliance-focused.
- Proven record of accountability and follow-through.
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
- Demonstrated ability to support a diverse community and promote diverse perspectives, cultures and an inclusive environment.
- Ability to use data-informed decision making to inform resource allocation, processes and procedures.
Location: This position may be based on any of the Vermont State University’s campuses