As an intermediate member of our Technical Services team, the Technical Support Specialist will work with U.S. and international customers in the renewable energy industry to address technical inquiries associated with NRG’s range of products, which utilize smart technologies for global resource sustainability and climate challenges, including data loggers, meteorological sensors, and remote sensing devices.
The key focus of this team-oriented position is to work autonomously on responding to technical inquiries about NRG products, product troubleshooting, and training customers. The nature of this role is a higher level of complexity in problem solving with higher stakes customer base than the Associate role. This position will interact with a diverse customer base that includes field technicians/installers, renewable energy developers, utilities, academic institutions, and governments, and will also interface on a regular basis with other internal departments such as Engineering, Sales, Marketing and Manufacturing.
This position receives support and guidance from the Team Leader of Technical Services and directly reports to the Technical Services Manager. This position will work in partnership with his or her team to achieve the goals of the Technical Services department plan that are in line with the company’s strategic plan and its values, culture, and philosophies.
Technical Services Responsibilities
- Provide timely support to customers over phone and email, including answering general technical questions, instructing on product use and installation, product troubleshooting, reviewing data, and recommending solutions
- Lead product training for customers and other NRG employees both on and off site, including travel to international customers.
- Serve as departmental lead on collaborations with Engineering and Sales/Marketing departments to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Participate in new product testing, including hardware and software.
- Maintain in-depth product knowledge on NRG’s complete product line, including meteorological sensors, data loggers, iPacks (communication devices), towers, software, and remote sensing devices.
- Oversee field installations and service.
- Represent NRG at industry events, such as trade shows and workshops
- Update internal department procedures and work instructions.
- Write and maintain customer-facing documentation, including product manuals and instructions.
- Serve on Continuous Improvement Teams.
- Contribute to internal department references, including the team Wiki.
- Serve as Repairs and Maintenance (RMA) administrator process daily repair orders, follow up on outstanding repairs, and identify inefficiencies or problem areas for repair orders as well as initiate and implement system improvements and product updates.
- Two-year or four-year college degree
- Minimum of 2 years relevant experience, preferably in a manufacturing, engineering or customer service environment
- High level of expertise with Microsoft Office programs and strong computer proficiency
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills; technical writing experience
- Technical aptitude – familiarity with electronics, cellular communications technology, meteorological data collection, and/or renewable energy technology desirable
- High level of autonomy and initiative required
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize
- Professional and dependable manner
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, challenging environment with strong attention to detail
- Honesty, humility, and accountability
- Ability to speak a foreign language is a plus
- Work performed in a climate controlled office environment.
- Primarily duties performed in a seated position.
- Occasional heavy lifting
- Travel up to 20%.