The Systems Engineer at Vermont Systems will help design, develop, support, and maintain the organization’s systems infrastructure, including the implementation and design of hardware and software. Makes updates to system related installation documentation. Performs end-user support. They will establish a high quality, dependable and extensible set of environments for our hosted clients. Allow for exposure to the various technology and functional areas of our products; creating diversity in tasks and promoting a culture of learning.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
- Provision, install, and maintain systems running all servers.
- Assist with instituting Hyper-V virtualization best practices/tuning.
- Assist with setup and provisioning of storage resources.
- Assist with management and configuration of networking resources.
- Install/Configure/Utilize Microsoft technologies.
- Work with staff and external customers to facilitate onboarding of data into the hosted environment.
- Perform operating system/application maintenance as well as manage repair of system/environment problems.
- Manage and track company hardware/software assets and licenses.
- Contribute to the proactive monitoring of infrastructure capacity and performance.
- Perform system backup and recovery (Both at the application/database level, as well as at the system level).
- Create and maintain effective documentation for repeatable tasks and procedures.
- Contribute in continuous technology and process improvements.
- Contribute in the dissemination of industry trends, technology and best practices.
- Participate in overnight maintenance windows on a rotating basis.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree in a computer science related field and/or supporting, relevant certifications or experience.
- 3+ years of experience of relevant industry work.
- Experience with Hyper-V and/or other virtualization technologies.
- Able to deploy, configure, and support Windows Server systems.
- Full understanding of local/wide area networking concepts/protocols with the ability to utilize that knowledge in troubleshooting connectivity or performance issues on the internal/external network.
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Experience collaborating with customers, vendors, support staff, development, IT, and other technical resources.
- Interact with vendors in the resolution of complex problems.
- Limited experience in building and maintaining web based, database backed, application infrastructure with a focus on redundant, secure, and scalable deployments.
- Experience in mission-critical operations, ideally within a 24×7 distributed and clustered environment is preferred.
- Knowledgeable in current technical protocols, standards and best practices.
- Ability to learn and implement company standards and best practices becoming adept in doing so consistently.
- Capacity to learn and demonstrate complete knowledge of company products and best practice implementation/configuration standards.
- Self-starter with the ability to multi-task and take on responsibilities when required.