Green River’s software support specialist will work with our clients to determine the issues our customers are facing, figure out the underlying problem, solve technical problems, and work with the technical lead, programmers, and project managers on the more complex issues.
We seek candidates committed to public health, school improvement, environmental protection, and social justice. As the climate changes, the population increases, and critical resource thresholds are breached, data and information systems will play an increasingly important role in defining and delivering solutions — for both economic benefit, and human and ecological health. This vision drives us at Green River.
Incorporated in 2000, we are a custom web application development firm with a strong engineering focus and dedication to “software and analytics for a better world.” Our model requires software skills, analytical experience, business sophistication, and a genuine commitment to ethics and social responsibility.
Our projects offer challenges in developing complex, scalable algorithms and well-designed responsive user interfaces. We regularly evolve our approach to software development as new best practices emerge. We have a collaborative atmosphere in our company—shaping together the kind of work and lifestyle we want and fostering career paths through mentorship. This has resulted in exceptionally long-term relationships with both our clients and our staff. Our primary offices are in scenic Brattleboro, Vermont, with a satellite office of six in Northampton, Mass, and we have distributed staff living and working around the country. Our current clients include Starbucks, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the City of Boston, the State of Delaware, World Resources Institute, Reach Out and Read, and many other state and local governments as well as domestic and international non-profit organizations. We believe in our clients’ work, and are committed to being good partners in their success.
The Support Specialist will work in small teams with our clients and Green River project managers, interaction and user experience designers, DevOps engineers, and front-end and back-end engineers. Success in this position requires knowledge about testing software, an ability to learn the domains of public health, homelessness, supply chain certification, and so on, great attention to detail, and enthusiasm about learning in general. We look for team members who believe in working to make the world a better place, yet bring a grounded professionalism appropriate to our clients and the scale of our projects. In addition:
We’re looking for a team member who will:
- Gather information from users & troubleshoot issues
- Triage and help resolve urgent issues
- Enter issues in our internal work tracking system with sufficient detail, communicating a clear understanding of scope and effort to software developers
- Work with developers as questions arise
- Track and communicate progress on software issues to client
- Participate in team work sessions
- Participate in the testing of all software releases to ensure expectations are met
- Perform entry-level programming tasks, learning from other developers on the team, if interested.
Skills and experience we’re looking for:
- Understanding of web application development processes
- Ability to communicate with technical and non-technical people
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, problem-solving, presentation, facilitation, and follow-through skills
- Comfort with change
Some things people love about working at Green River:
- Creative team who value a workplace where you can learn and laugh
- Long-term relationships with smart, engaged clients