Systems & Software
As a Software Engineer for Systems & Software (Harris Computer), you will be placed into a small Agile Development team. Your primary responsibilities in this role will include new feature implementation, troubleshooting bug fixes, new quotes, and supporting complex technical systems (where you will play an important role in helping design, build, test and deploy our products). You will work with other members on your team to support our current product lines and build out the future of our product. You will have access to the latest tools, hardware, and some of the brightest software engineers in the industry.
The successful candidate will initially report to the Director of Research & Development, to be assigned later to a Manager of Research & Development.
This remote role welcomes candidates anywhere in Canada and the US.
What your impact will be?
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring to team members
- Facilitate thorough root cause testing/research on major findings and ensure appropriate corrective and preventive actions are developed and implemented in a timely manner
- Implement product designs by programming in a variety of languages and using a variety of technologies
- Produce accurate effort estimates for large- and small-scale tasks, and work with the Client Development Manager to track development progress and timelines
- Complete software development tasks – bug fixes, customer-driven feature development, product enhancements
- Collaborate with the R&D team on development methodology, processes, and associated tools
- Assist Professional Services, R&D and Support Departments with design reviews and escalated issues
- Work with QA, promote best practices to ensure a high level of quality within the team
- Manage code reviews and closely participate in providing feedback on others’ designs/code.
- Identify when junior engineers need help and providing it in a positive way that promotes confidence.
- Identify and mitigate issues and risks that could negatively impact project timelines.
What we are looking for:
- B.S. in Computer Science or Computer Information Systems or equivalent work experience.
- 2+ years experience working with some or all of the following technologies: Front End technologies (Angular, JSP) Core Technologies (Java, Python, Procedural SQL, SOA & MVC Architecture, COBOL)
- Solid experience delivering highly scalable web applications
- Proven experience with Oracle and PL/SQL or MS SQL Server and Transact-SQL
- Experience with Web Services (REST, SOAP)
- Ability to design and develop well-structured, custom application software following such principles as object-oriented design and service-oriented architecture
- Possess an excellent work ethic, high level of initiative, aptitude, and energy in order to succeed in a fast-paced environment
- Has excellent interpersonal skills and effectively communicates well with both internal and external resources
- Has mindset and desire to embrace learning, working well within a team or unsupervised
What would make you stand out:
- Experience with billing and/or accounting applications
- Knowledge of the public utility sector
- Proven Unix/Linux knowledge/background
- Experience working directly with clients and Third-Party vendors on system integrations
- Having effectively worked with all levels of managementExperience with cloud-based architectures