Cox Automotive is seeking a Software Engineer I to join our Marketing and Advertising engineering team.
Cox Automotive (Dealer.com) is the market leading provider of technology services to the automotive industry. Our engineering organization takes pride in building innovative products that make our customers successful. We are passionate about building great software while having fun doing it. The result is an award-winning culture in which everyone is approachable, ideas are judged on their merits, and healthy, empowered people drive transformative technology.
As a Software Engineer I, you’ll work on our Real-Time Bidding Platform that serves roughly one billion bid requests a day, around 700k requests per second at peak, with a 100ms limit on the amount of time it takes to process a request. Most of our applications are written in Java using the Spring Boot framework. We use Sumo, Data Dog, New Relic, and PagerDuty to monitor and alert on our platform.
We own, and are responsible for, our infrastructure, including everything from the public network all the way down to our compute and sharded relational database schema design. All our infrastructure is in AWS, and we manage it using Terraform. We use CI/CD best practices to develop, test, and deploy our applications. We use a wide variety of AWS services, ranging from running containers in the Elastic Container Service, to Elastic Map Reduce, Athena, Glue, and other No SQL Big Data services to process a large volume of data, work with products and architects to learn, and apply those learnings to future product and technical development. Our engineering organization supports addressing technical debt. In addition to working with product owners to prioritize and fix defects as necessary, we reserve one sprint a quarter to work on things that are bugging us, whether that’s cleaning up noisy alerts, automating manual processes, or just revisiting code if we think there’s a better way to do it, using the tools we have available to set goals prior to making changes, and measuring our success. We have an annual Hackathon, with winners going on to compete at a higher level within our parent company. We have time reserved on the calendar annually to learn more about both internal and external products. If you want to work on highly performant software running at scale in the cloud, with the ability to both learn new technologies, and have an impact on our ability to succeed as a team, organization, and company, this job is for you.
Java, Spring, AWS (EMR, ECS, EC2, S3, Glue, Athena, QuickSight, Lambda, API Gateway, SQS, Kinesis, Terraform, CloudFront, CloudWatch, RDS), Active MQ, Maven, NewRelic/DataDog/SumoLogic, Cucumber, REST/gRPC, Hibernate, MySQL, GitHub, TeamCity/Jenkins, Apache Airflow
- Develop advertising solutions for the expanding digital advertising space including Connected TV, OTT, Music Streaming, YouTube, Facebook, Google Search and Display
- Design, build and support cloud-native applications that serve our digital advertising stakeholders
- Establish patterns for our organization that deliver our software products at scale with observability, performance and security
- Design and build service-oriented architecture solutions, constructing and managing services published to both internal and external consumers, integrating with complex database and third-party components
- Engage with your agile scrum team to build a culture of passion, trust and creativity
- Learn and leverage the automotive digital advertising domain to change the way the world buys, sells and uses cars
- Where permitted by applicable law, must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to be considered for this U.S. based job. (Reasonable accommodations for medical and religious objections will be considered.)
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field and up to 2+ OR 4 years experience of equivalent combination of industry related professional experience and education
What We Look For:
- Experience designing and implementing applications with highly optimized and scalable architectures with an emphasis on AWS technologies
- Experience with the J2EE platform and the Spring framework.
- Object-oriented design experience, including applied use of design patterns
- Experience implementing automated tests and observability, monitoring and alerting
- Knowledge of agile development methodologies desired
- Knowledge of digital advertising is a plus