NRG Systems, now a subsidiary of ESCO Technologies Inc. (NYSE: ESE), started making pioneering, high-quality products for the wind industry in the early 1980s. As climate challenges became more numerous and complex, we expanded our offerings to include smart technologies for wind, solar, and meteorological applications. This diversification strategy has positioned NRG for growth and success. When you join NRG, you will be part of a dedicated, passionate team that believes our work is vital to solving global climate change issues.
NRG is seeking a Senior Firmware Engineer to help us develop next-generation intelligent products that will shape the future of global resource sustainability. In this role, you will focus on designing firmware platforms, developing device drivers, bringing up boards, implementing communications protocols, optimizing power consumption, and building embedded applications for microcontroller-based measurement and communications devices. You must be responsive, flexible, and desire to succeed within an open, collaborative peer environment. You also will be part of our global firmware engineering team and play a critical role in ensuring product quality and driving continuous improvement.
The Senior Firmware Engineer position is a full-time position that reports to the Software Engineering Manager. You will work iteratively with a multi-disciplinary team charged with solving complex engineering problems, delivering value to our customers, and pivoting to address emergent market needs. You may apply your unique skills to support other teams from time to time. Teams in this customer value-oriented environment negotiate scope when required to hold solution delivery commitments. The successful candidate will embrace the high standards of NRG ethics and core values.
- B.S. degree in firmware engineering, electrical engineering, computer science, or equivalent
- Minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible firmware engineering
- Strong knowledge of C programming
- Familiarity with additional program languages (C++, C#, or Python a plus)
- Embedded platform and real-time operating system experience (ThreadX and FreeRTOS preferred)
- Practical experience with one or more networking and industrial communications protocols and peripheral buses (e.g., TCP/IP, RS-485, Modbus, DNP3, I2C, SPI, USB, UART, Bluetooth, BTLE, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to drive daily execution and burn down of critical tasks needed to meet timelines
- Demonstrated willingness to be held accountable for commitments
- Demonstrated ability to build lasting cross-functional relationships, including solid influencing and communication skills
- Creative problem solver and solution developer when presented with conflicting requirements, business demands, and technical risks/issues
- Attention to detail and ability to work independently toward timely completion of a variety of assignments
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Work performed in a climate-controlled office environment
- Primary duties performed in a seated position
- Occasional travel to visit customers, represent NRG at tradeshow events, or perform fieldwork