Vermont Manufacturing Extension Center VMEC
The Vermont Manufacturing Extension Center (VMEC) is seeking to fill a full-time field
VMEC is the Vermont representative of the MEP National Network™ and since 1995 VMEC has been hosted by the Vermont State Colleges (VSC) system at Vermont Technical College
POSITION: The Professional Manufacturing and Business Growth Advisor is a VTC-VMEC, Full-Time, Exempt and Non-Bargaining Unit (NBU) position.
LOCATION: To Be Determined. Likely home-office based. Could require extensive in-state
COMPENSATION: Competitive Salary. Compensation Includes VSC NBU Administrator
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
As a VMEC Manufacturing & Business Growth Advisor field staff, you will interact directly with companies to assess needs, deliver training, and provide hands-on coaching in technical and management services.
You will analyze and deliver services in process improvement and company growth at the operational, process and system levels with measurable results.
Become a vital part of a supportive and passionate learning organization where you will workindependently and collaboratively towards VMEC’s mission, “To Strengthen and Empower Vermont Manufacturing.”
Along with being a trusted resource in the Vermont manufacturing ecosystem, you will support and be supported by regional partners and the MEP National Network™.
● Coach individuals and small groups on effective and sustaining application and
implementation of Lean, Continuous Improvement and Innovation methods. These
include, but are not limited to, Value Stream Mapping, Set-up Reduction, 5S, Plant and
Cell Layout, Pull systems and Supermarket design, and TPM.
● Lead and co-present private, public, remote and on-site training, workshops and other
● Define, manage and deliver consulting projects on time and within budget, while meeting and/or exceeding customer expectations.
● Conduct outreach to VT manufacturers to learn about their needs and promote
awareness of VMEC, resulting in the development of client-specific proposals.
● Manage and support a portfolio of client accounts and coordinate third party service
● Utilize VMEC CRM/Salesforce for account management including project activities,
goals and objectives.
● Participate in VMEC Strategy Deployment and Strategic Initiatives including to develop and improve systems and standard work.
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Business Management or other appropriate discipline, plus a minimum of ten (10) years of manufacturing experience or a combination of education and
experience from which comparable knowledge and skills are acquired. An advanced degree or a second degree that provides cross-functional skills is desirable.
● A demonstrated passion for manufacturing, operational excellence and continuous
● Proven experience implementing Continuous Improvement, Lean Manufacturing and
innovative ideas processes, with seasoned business acumen.
● Demonstrated coaching skills and a passion for developing people and helping others
● Accountability to commitments, measurable results and superior customer service.
Trust and effective long term relationship building.
● Strong oral and written communications skills, with excellent interpersonal and
presentation skills. Ability to comfortably and clearly communicate with client company
executives, leaders and employees at all levels.
● Active listening and continuous learning; capable and adaptable in working with
diverse manufacturing industries.
● Strong planning, organizational, and project management skills, with an ability to
manage multiple projects.
● Experience in assessing an organization’s needs, with an emphasis on measurable
results. Minimum of two (2) years of consulting experience desirable.
● Successful direct sales and prospecting experience. Strategic and Brand awareness
● Ability to work from a home office, work independently, and also work as part of a
team that is mission driven and passionate about providing high value-added and
high-impact outcomes for a client base in diversified markets.
Must have access to a personal vehicle and be willing to travel extensively within
Vermont and occasionally out-of-state. Valid driver’s license required.