Chroma Technology Corp.
Chroma Technology Corp., a world leader in the advanced manufacturing of thin-film optical coatings, has an exciting opening for a Product Engineer!
JOIN OUR AWARD-WINNING TEAM! Recognized as a Best Places to Work in Vermont and awarded the DCD Outstanding Vermont Business of the Year, Chroma Technology Corp. is a 100% employee-owned company and certified B corporation. We are able to offer an extremely generous package of benefits, rewards, and a value-driven work environment. Join our team of collaborative employee-owners who are self-motivated, independent workers willing to strategize and together work towards the long-term prosperity of the company.
The Product Engineer is a multidisciplinary engineer managing and executing the development, advancement and improvement of Chroma’s products. The person in this role provides technical leadership, collaborating extensively with other engineering disciplines, the Engineering Manager and the CTO.
Primary Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
- Collaborates with Sales, Design Engineers, and Manufacturing Process Developers to develop new products and improve existing products; includes product design, researching new applications, assessing product feasibility, and determining most cost-effective solutions for manufacturing, as well as working with Process Engineers on process development for custom products
- Serves as Design Liaison between Engineering and Sales for preliminary review of all Sales requests within the Product Specification Tool and assigns design responsibilities as warranted
- Interacts with customers to provided technical assistance, to discuss products, and/or learn about new applications
- Manages product development projects to assure product success, meeting customer needs and optical filter performance and specifications
- Assist Marketing in the development of white papers, articles, or conference proceedings to promote Chroma’s products and demonstrate our technical expertise
- Communicate in a clear, effective and professional manner
- Support coworkers by helping when it is appropriate
- Follow through on tasks, responsibilities, and projects
- Be organized when helping to solve problems, supporting project teams, or instituting goals
- Be adaptable to ever changing challenges
- Collaborate with colleagues to find most appropriate solutions
- Take leadership roles to advance projects or the resolution of problems
We are seeking applicants with the following essential qualifications:
- B.S. in optics, applied physics, materials science or similar technical discipline
- 5+ years of experience with optics or optical system design and manufacturing; experience with coatings and thin-film design preferred
- 3+ years in product development
- Expertise in scientific method and designing controlled experiments and statistical and quantitative analysis
- Knowledge of intellectual property/patentable utilities
- Excellent problem visualization and solution skills
- Self-directed and detail oriented with ability to organize and manage multiple priorities
- Ability to lead and work effectively with all individuals/groups within the organization
- Excellent technical writing and communication skills
- Able to travel as needed for customer visits and technical meetings