To maintain and supervise use of Vermont Technical College labs for science, language or other academic courses for the Mechanical/Manufacturing Engineering program.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Supervise/carry out the physical set-up and preparation of equipment and materials needed for specific labs, as well as return of equipment and materials to storage/storage following labs, and related clean-up tasks.
• Supervise student lab assistants.
• Perform a wide variety of technical tasks associated with lab equipment and facility maintenance, such as equipment cleaning, calibrating, trouble- shooting, repairing, replacing parts, and the like. Organize and maintain supply stockrooms. Take materials inventory. Carry out proper storage and removal of hazardous waste materials when appropriate, and maintain required records.
• Order lab equipment and materials, processing and maintaining required budget requests and records. Research available sources for equipment and materials, meet with sales representatives, and perform related purchasing functions.
• Assist faculty in conducting and supervising labs, explaining and demonstrating new techniques, assisting students with procedures or projects, ensuring proper use of equipment/materials, and so forth. Assist in administering and grading lab quizzes and exams, evaluating lab manuals, and the like.
• Assist with/carry out the design and testing of new labs and equipment.
• Consult regularly with faculty to plan and evaluate specific lab activities, plan methods for evaluating student’s lab performance, and the like.
Associates or bachelors degree in an appropriate discipline, plus one to two years of relevant technical experience, or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills are acquired.
• Strong academic background in the specific discipline of assigned lab(s), with good technical lab skills, including some relevant skills in equipment maintenance and repairs.
• Good basic administrative and supervisory skills.
• Good basic teaching and informal advising/coaching skills desirable.
• Ability to deal effectively with faculty in planning and coordinating labs.