FirstLight is seeking a GIS Technician to join our fast-growing team!
The GIS Technician is responsible for management and implementation of technical GIS data into Firstlight’s GIS Platform. The GIS Technician will be responsible for assigning and documenting fiber assignments, planning and creating splice plans, providing support to field teams and ensuring as-built data is accurately captured into the Firstlight project upon completion of each job while adhering to the Firstlight GIS standards across the entire company footprint. Working with, communicating clearly and often with various other departments within the organization is a priority.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Communicates clearly and often with other departments
- Attends weekly OSP Construction meetings to update and identify and prioritize jobs ready for the GIS portion of construction.
- Provides consistent updates on open jobs.
- Consistently provides port assignments and splice plans by Estimated Construction Completion Date (ECCD)
- Digitizes lines and elements when required in M4 Solutions to the Firstlight standards.
- Travels when required to pursue continuing education for technical and professional development and other GIS functions.
- At times will train users on new and existing GIS procedures and products.
- Identifies the need of and submits the request for Central Office augments and OSP overbuilds when needed.
- Supports the Network Operations Center (NOC) when activated as required.
- Stays current with emerging technologies for the documenting of OSP and ISP data in a GIS system
- Solid organizational and prioritization skills are essential.
- The duties of this position are subject to change at any time.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, and SKILLS:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the qualifications, knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to read, interpret, and follow complex maps, diagrams, and schematics. Technical aptitude and strong computer skills, with the ability to maneuver through several operating systems (Microsoft Office Suite, Visio, Mapcom-GIS). Skilled at evaluating data to make sound decisions, with the ability to organize and prioritize multiple work assignments. Must have strong work ethic, be well organized, and reliable. Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills. Ability to work independently and with a team in a fast-paced and high-volume environment with emphasis on accuracy and timeliness. Ability to communicate professionally through all types of media with customers, vendors, managers, and associates, exhibiting poise, composure, and confidence when confronting high-pressure or stressful situations while maintaining a positive attitude.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
High School Diploma or general education degree (GED). Secondary education of an Associate’s Degree or higher is preferred. Telecommunications OSP Construction and Splicing experience preferred. At least two years of GIS experience.