The fiber optic splicer/tester at FirstLight Fiber is a position within our Construction services division that plays a vital role in ensuring quality and timely delivery of our fiber services to the end customer. The Splicer is responsible for the terminating, splicing, documenting and testing of optical cables. Applicants should have experience working with core alignment fusion splicers as well as ribbon splicers. An ability to read prints and understand engineering documents is required. Applicants must have good attention to detail regarding setting up splice locations, termination points, and general fiber optic construction. The individual must have at least 2 years’ experience with splicing in all phases of construction. This person must be self-efficient and able to work by themselves.
- Install, Splice, Repair and Test fiber cable in a variety of environments including underground, indoor, and aerial.
- Prep and splice various types of outdoor and indoor fiber optic cable using single or mass splicers
- Installation of various enclosures for both OSP and ISP
- Install racks and termination Panels
- Perform testing utilizing OTDRs, Power Meter/Light Sources and VFLs.
- Record and document testing per FirstLight or customer specifications.
- Maintain required paperwork, splice plans, as-Bults, time sheets etc.
- Provide 24×7 emergency response on a rotating basis (approx. 1 week a month)
- Perform daily duties in a safe manner
- Always maintain a professional working attitude with co-workers and customers
- Uphold quality workmanship surpassing industry standards
Must be able to meet the following requirements:
- 1 year of fusion splicing and testing experience.
- Able to read prints and other engineering documentation.
- Experience performing mid-span entries on both ribbon and loose tube cables
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Mechanically inclined and detail oriented.
- Must have valid Driver’s License and the ability to obtain a DOT physical certification.
- Able and willing to travel with occasional overnight stays