Cox Enterprises (Dealer.com) is a family-run operation that began nearly 120 years ago. As part of this great family business, we treat our team members and clients like they’re just that — family. This atmosphere has been instrumental to our success and has shaped our willingness to fuel epic innovation, drive unprecedented growth and deliver the mind-blowing, needle-moving, connected experience we promise.
Cox Automotive is transforming the way the world buys, sells and owns cars. Come join the transformation!
We are seeking a results-oriented Engineering Operations Director within our Automotive Commerce Solutions portfolio. This position will work alongside other Engineering & Product leaders across Cox Automotive and be directly responsible for leading strategic initiatives intended to build a high performing software development organization.
This Director level role will drive improvements in engineering excellence, finance and resource management, internal communications, and will manage strategic initiatives. The Engineering Operations Director will significantly impact the overall success of the organization by focusing on areas such as creating process baselines to measure improvement, gathering and developing key performance indicators, developing initiatives to improve coding and testing practices, developing operational models, capturing and developing strategic plans, and managing the overall operational rhythm of the business.
The ideal candidate will combine a vision of a high performing Engineering organization, a strong program management capability, and an extensive background in leading large multi-discipline organizations to create and deliver programs that result in improved operational excellence.
- Partner with the Product & Engineering leaders to develop critical operational initiatives
- Partner with finance and facilitate the financial management process, including financial planning, cost management, and resource cost tracking
- Oversee the execution of strategic initiatives and participate in the identification and implementation of continuous improvement and incremental efficiencies
- Manage the internal communications strategy
- Create a data-driven culture with respect to Engineering productivity and outcomes
- Develop, track and report on KPIs related to maintenance, product development, platform performance and platform stability
- Engage with Engineering leaders across scrum teams to execute on KPIs
- Manage key agile scaling initiatives across the Engineering organization
- Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline and 10 years’ experience in a related field. The right candidate could also have a different combination, such as a master’s degree and 8 years’ experience; a Ph.D. and 5 years’ experience in a related field; or 14 years’ experience in a related field
- Deep understanding of technology industry trends, emerging technologies, and software development best practices
- Comprehensive and expert knowledge of the interactive software development process
- 10+ years of experience, at least 5 years managing and leading software development teams
- Strong experience managing large-scale programs
- Working ability to set project schedules, deliverables, and manage budgets
- Exceptional program management skills with the ability to prioritize work in a changing environment
- Experience with Microsoft Excel or spreadsheet solutions with the ability to analyze, model and present data to contribute and communicate key data point decisions
- with the ability to Attention to detail, schedule awareness and ability to drive organizations to healthy and timely results
- Experience managing and guiding senior leadership via influence rather than command and control techniques
- Must be able to inspire and maintain a positive atmosphere of innovation and success across a diverse team of engineers
- Must possess an ability to build key business relationships and contribute to the emerging technology culture within Cox Automotive
- Experienced storyteller with a passion for creating and delivering innovative communication approaches to engineering audiences