This position at Vermont Technical College will provide engineering services associated with the selection, management, maintenance, technical expertise, and training of the advanced manufacturing equipment necessary to accomplish Vermont Manufacturing Collaborative (VT-MC) and VTC’s mission. The VT-MC exists to provide advanced manufacturing outreach, education, training, and technology development functions for the state of Vermont and surrounding regions.
ADVANCED MANUFACTURING EQUIPMENT EXPERTISE
* Manage a complex set of advanced manufacturing tools including metal additive, multi-axis machining, EDM, heat treatment, post-processing, metallurgy, and metrology. 5-Axis machining experience is strongly desired.
* Ensure that VT-MC equipment is properly maintained and calibrated.
* Perform safety and environmental assessments. Ensure adherence with students and staff in the VT-MC facility.
* Ensure that the VT-MC maintains necessary stocks of materials and supplies.
INDUSTRY PROJECT MANAGEMENT
* Assist in the assessment of industry projects for scope of work, workflow planning, and cost estimation.
* Design and digitize industry products as needed through CAD, generative design, and/or 3D scanning.
* Perform build and assembly work for VT-MC industry projects.
* Perform mechanical engineering and testing of industry projects.
LEADERSHIP & TRAINING
* Supervise student employees in both the VT-MC facility and field locations.
* Coordinate and/or conduct student training on equipment, processes and safety procedures.
* Manage project work teams to complete projects on time and on budget.
* Attend vendor training sessions and on-the-job-related continuing education.
* Work to establish the VT-MC as a leader in customer service and product quality
* Perform other reasonably related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in engineering plus 1-5 years of relevant experience or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills are acquired.
Demonstrated hands-on experience in product design and advanced manufacturing.
In-depth knowledge of /or the ability to learn the operation and programming of the following: Metal and polymer additive machines (3D Printers) and their support systems, EDM tools, advanced heat treatment, metrology, metallurgy, manual and CNC lathes and mills, operation of general shop equipment including drilling, tapping, grinding and welding. Experience with 5-axis machining is strongly desired.
Demonstrated knowledge of environmental safety, QA/QC, design software such as 2D and 3D CAD and CAM, Solid Modeling, and machine design.
Experience formally sharing technical knowledge and teaching, preferably with students.
Ability to be self-motivated, multi-task, and be detail-oriented.
Exhibit strong organizational, analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
Proof of U.S. Citizenship required.
Employee will manage and run equipment in the VT-MC advanced manufacturing center; working with the professional center staff and student employees. However, the VT-MC is designed as an outreach program, so the employee may be required to make visits to manufacturing facilities throughout Vermont. These environments can potentially be noisy, dirty, hot or cold, and could require climbing or heavy lifting.
VSC UP PAT Bargaining Unit Grade: 14 FLSA: Exempt Full-time
Applicants interested in applying must submit a Cover Letter and Resume.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. However, applications received after the initial screening will be considered at the discretion of the College. Vermont Tech strongly encourages applications from members of ethnic minority groups and other under-represented backgrounds.
Vermont Tech is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any individual because of race, color, religion, ancestry, place of birth, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age or veteran status, or against a qualified individual with a disability, or any other person whose status is protected under local, state or federal laws. In compliance with ADA requirements, we will make reasonable accommodations for the known disability of an otherwise qualified applicant.
NOTE: This job is subject to a fingerprint-supported criminal background check. Any offer of employment is contingent upon the satisfactory results of this check.