Rural Innovation Strategies, Inc (RISI) is a social enterprise working to advance inclusive economic opportunity and investment in small towns across the country. We are seeking a Data Analyst who is looking to join a fast growing team committed to shifting the narrative about what’s economically possible in rural America.
Guided by a strong belief in rural ingenuity and small-town potential, RISI and its sister organization, the Center on Rural Innovation (CORI), provide strategic support to rural communities wanting to develop inclusive, resilient digital ecosystems. Our comprehensive systems approach to digital economy ecosystems involves building a nationwide network of local economic change agents; using mapping and data to highlight rural opportunities; making direct investment in underserved rural entrepreneurs; and closing the digital divide so all Americans can participate in the 21st century digital economy.
As a data analyst, you will serve as a critical member of the organization’s data analytics and mapping team, actively developing CORI’s data technology stack and data streamlining tools in addition to defining and executing analytics for internal and external clients. This is a dynamic and wide-ranging role in an organization that is rapidly evolving and building a national profile. We are looking for an analyst who has demonstrated experience wrangling data, analyzing data, and communicating data to audiences with varying degrees of technical literacy.
We are headquartered in a historic general store building in the village of Hartland, Vermont, a part of the Upper Valley and greater Dartmouth College region with a distributed team across the country. For more information, please visit our website:
- Evaluate and integrate spatial data from various data sources and data types
- Support the extraction, transformation and loading (ETL) of data
- Develop metrics using R and other statistical tools
- Prepare and execute workflows, geoprocessing models, and automated routines
- Understand the current data pipeline and contribute to the maintenance and improvement of the pipeline components and processes
- Visualize complex data that is consumable to both technical and non-technical audiences using various statistical and spatial techniques
- Design, build, and evaluate Machine Learning models in Python or R
- Write concise and clear summary and methodology documentation to explain data, analyses, and result
- Perform data QA and audits; proactively develop the adoption of data best practices across the organization
- Maintain high standards of coding quality within the team by establishing good practices and habits
- Collaborate with creative and technical experts and management to turn abstract ideas into valid data products
- Research and review highly technical quantitative studies and appropriately apply approaches and methods from these studies to our work
- Expertise with numerous languages and tools (e.g., scripting), including
- R, SQL (must)
- Familiar with or able to achieve fluency quickly with the current data technology stack, including
- Carto (Cartodb, CARTOframes)
- RESTful APIs
- Other data platforms
- Experience with data visualization tools such as D3.js, Datawrapper, Chart.js, BI tools like Tableau, Power BI, Python Dash, R Shiny, Leaflet, Carto, and Kepler.gl, and Plotly
- Strong spreadsheet skills
- Excellent ability to interpret data and demonstrated success delivering robust and innovative reporting solutions to end-users
- Ability to create data visualizations based on reporting and research
- Experience with and commitment to equitable data practice
- Demonstrated experience turning data into actionable insight and telling impactful stories with data
- Strong computer skills, including use of Google Suite, web based collaboration and project management tools, and virtual presentation platforms
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary environment, engaging and communicating with internal colleagues (e.g., engineers and communications professionals) and external stakeholders (e.g., community leaders, elected officials, executives, and philanthropists)
- Exceptional analytical, conceptual, and problem-solving abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Intelligence and curiosity; learns quickly and immediately applies new insights.
- Extremely reliable
- Comfortable owning up to mistakes and being open about challenges
Essential job functions and requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.