E INC is the parent company of EBlock and EDealer, unifying our approach to products, services, and strategies under one Vision and one Mission: to create the best digital auction and retailing platform in the world by connecting the automotive wholesale and retail experiences. Our brands and their technologies make it easy for a vehicle to move between buyers and sellers throughout its entire ownership lifecycle.
We are seeking a Corporate Counsel to join our dynamic legal department. This role will involve supporting the E INC. legal team as well as businesspeople throughout the company. We are made up of high performing teams that meet in person to learn and collaborate as needed. This role is considered hybrid, which means you’ll be assigned to an E INC. office and given the flexibility to work remotely. As a member of our team, you will work with others who are collaborative, handle a high volume of projects and thrive in a demanding, deadline-driven environment. Reporting into E INC.’s General Counsel & Corporate Secretary, the Corporate Counsel will be responsible for all commercial matters and advising internal teams on legal issues surrounding the company’s services and operations. E INC. believes in fostering a flexible, trust-oriented culture that empowers everyone to take full ownership of their roles. We are driven by innovation and looking for team players who want to actively build our company.
The ideal candidate is a highly motivated, experienced creative problem solver who is, comfortable taking on new challenges and working on novel issues. You possess strong business acumen and excellent communication skills. You are coachable, adept at issue spotting, critical thinking, managing competing priorities and able to learn quickly in a fast-paced environment.
This role is a great opportunity for someone with a passion for technology, excellent problem-solving skills and an ability to thrive in a fast-paced, changing environment. This position requires experience negotiating and drafting complex commercial contracts but is a generalist role that will involve a wide-ranging scope of day-to-day responsibilities.
What you will do:
- Review, draft and negotiate complex commercial contracts or other legal documentation with customers, partners, and others who desire to contract with the Company.
- Provide legal and strategic business advice to ensure agreements are consistent with internal corporate policies and processes.
- Work with various stakeholders on a variety of commercial, enterprise, partnership and strategic agreements in support of E INC.’s fast-growing business.
- Identify and advise on legal risks associated with commercial engagements.
- Serve as a trusted advisor and business partner across the company by providing counsel and guidance for accomplishing E INC.’s overall business objectives.
- Assist in development and implementation of various legal templates, forms, playbooks, and communications.
- Manage legal aspects of corporate transactional matters, including M&A, corporate finance, business development, real estate leases and other transactions.
- Work on all stages of merger and acquisition transactions, including performing due diligence and assisting with the preparation of definitive documentation, regulatory filings, and management of post-closing integration and disputes.
- Serve as a strategic partner to various business units by supporting and interfacing with project teams within the various organizations of the company along with customers, vendors and outside counsel.
- Support general corporate matters, including international entity management, corporate governance, board meeting preparation, equity administration, compliance, and records management.
- Assist the General Counsel & Corporate Secretary in maintaining corporate records for the Board and other corporate secretarial functions.
- Support the General Counsel & Corporate Secretary with respect to E INC.’s public disclosure documents and filings.
- Train and advise management on legal and compliance matters and risk mitigation efforts.
- Review advertising and marketing materials to ensure that they are in compliance with legal requirements.
- Assist in ensuring compliance with various data security and privacy laws.
- Help defend and prosecute E INC.’s registered IP, evaluate and support new IP filings and other IP related work.
- Assist on Risk Management functions throughout the Company, including insurance and regulatory compliance matters.
- Support People & Culture team on a wide variety of employment matters, including hiring, background checks, performance management, employee relations, leaves of absence and accommodations, discrimination and harassment laws, wage and hour, internal investigations, compensation/benefits, global mobility, restrictive covenants, reductions in force and termination issues.
- Keep informed of industry-specific regulations and ensure that appropriate risk management strategies are in place
- Anticipate and mitigate potential legal problems within the organization and develop strategies to reduce potential areas of risk
- Support business licensing and compliance activities throughout North America. Help develop, enhance and scale the existing Compliance function and programs, including automotive dealer licensing and business licensing operations
- Provide advice to E INC. leadership in areas related to dealership compliance.
- Research and analysis of legal and compliance matters applicable to our multi-jurisdiction operations, to include licensing, compliance, and automotive remarketing.
- Work on other projects as assigned by the General Counsel & Corporate Secretary.
What you will need:
- Juris doctorate from an accredited top tier law school
- Licensed attorney in at least one U.S. state
- 3 – 5 years experience in a transactional or commercial-related legal position at a law firm and in-house legal department
- Excellent leadership, communication and organizational skills
- Strong negotiation, drafting, problem solving and analytical skills
- Demonstrate an ability to issue-spot sensitive and novel legal and business concerns, adjust frequently and meet demanding deadlines.
- A great business partner who understands how to appropriately manage risk while helping the business achieve its goals
- Unquestioned ethics, integrity, and accountability
- Capable of collaborating with cross-functional teams to achieve E INC.’s business goals
- Ability to lead diverse teams through complex negotiations, keeping all tasks organized and stakeholders clearly informed of deliverables and timelines.
- Ability to understand business objectives and think creatively and outside-the-box to find resolutions to achieve requirements of all parties.
- Highly responsive with a service-oriented attitude.
- Ability to give succinct, commercially-driven legal advice
- Works well autonomously and in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Sound and practical business judgment.
- Demonstrated ability to provide the highest level of legal work-product.
- Possesses excellent and persuasive writing skills
- Ability to provide thought leadership on strategic matters as well as execute on tactical operational details
- Ability to work quickly and competently to prioritize, manage, and multi-task in a fast-paced working environment
- Strong work ethic and ability to multi-task, prioritize and follow-through on numerous projects simultaneously in a dynamic environment.
- Experience working in a demanding, high paced, high volume transaction environment and comfortable with quarter end demands
- Must enjoy being continually challenged under tight deadlines while demonstrating sound judgment even in ambiguous situations
- Flexible about supporting teams located in various time zones
- Able to prioritize appropriately and manage multiple tasks
- A team player who is willing up to roll up one’s sleeves to get the job done
- Able to balance competing projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to learn quickly and take on challenging new projects.
- Ability and desire to work autonomously, including owning projects, chasing down answers and taking the work across the finish line.
- Proficient in Google workspace environment.
- Contract Lifecycle Management (CLM) System experience a plus.