Vermont Manufacturing Extension Center VMEC
CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER Vermont Manufacturing Extension Center (VMEC) Unclassified
VMEC is a private-public partnership hosted under Vermont State University – Randolph. We are funded by multiple federal and state grants and generate program revenue.
CFO manages the financial actions of the organization. CFO directs the overall financial plans and accounting practices of VMEC in conjunction with the hosting entity Vermont State University (VTSU) and VMEC policies. CFO oversees financial and accounting system controls and standards, including audits and budgets, and ensures timely financial and statistical reports for VMEC management, Federal and State stakeholders and VTSU as necessary.
CFO manages and guides strategic initiatives, client- project impact data collection and analysis activities of the organization. Additionally, the CFO is responsible for grant management, client project impact, acts as a Systems Admin in Salesforce and Google Drive and supports the internal team in various ways.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting directly to the VMEC Director & CEO, this individual will:
● Manage the financial actions of the organization. This senior executive position is responsible for controllership duties, treasury duties, economic strategy and forecasting.
● Direct the preparation of financial reports, information returns, and various reports for NIST MEP, other government agencies and appropriate other grant authorities.
● Oversee accounting and administrative tasks, budget preparation, and audit functions. Meet regularly with department heads and key staff to keep informed and to offer direction.
● Lead and Support Administrative Manager.
● Review reports to analyze projections of sales and funding needs against actual figures, budgeted expenses against final totals, and suggest methods of improving the planning process as appropriate.
● Identify and lead opportunities for improvement.
● Confer regularly with the Director & CEO and the team to coordinate and prioritize planning and budget issues.
● Confer regularly with Vermont Technical College and Vermont State University (VTSU) personnel to plan and coordinate necessary activities, exchange information, and resolve problems.
● Prepare specialized databases, log and maintain information and prepare a variety of reports for federal requirements and other internal and external needs.
● If necessary and with advance approval of the VMEC Director & CEO be available to provide limited client services to Vermont manufacturing companies in the areas of finance, accounting, and measures.
● Serve as Administrator for Salesforce and Google Drive Products
● Institutional and business industry knowledge and experience
● Extensive grant and non-profit experience
● Auditing experience preferred
● Work well with a small team, roles both as leader and service to the team
● Ability to manage accounting system with multiple FYEs
● Ability to perform detailed reporting while also focusing on strategic planning
● Systems oriented and competent
● Supervisory accounting Manager
● Works collegiately at all times
Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting, with a Master’s degree in Finance or Business Administration preferred. Experience taken into account. A minimum of 8-10 years of relevant business and grant experience required. Manufacturing and/or non-profit experience preferred.
● C.P.A. designation preferred
● Strong computer skills. Knowledge of database and accounting computer application systems to supply the most accurate financial information
● Experience in financial management with increasing responsibilities for multi-faceted direction and planning
● Excellent oral and written communication skills
● Excellent analytical, organizational, and project management skills
● Availability to travel in state and occasionally out-of-state
Note: This general outline is not an all-encompassing statement of the specific duties and responsibilities of this position.