Vermont Manufacturing Extension Center VMEC
The Vermont Manufacturing Extension Center (VMEC) is seeking to fill a full-time field staff position to encourage adoption of “Industry 4.0” technologies to increase competitiveness of VT manufacturers. This is to be accomplished through raising awareness, assessing company needs, and identifying possible solutions including facilitating projects with the Vermont Manufacturing Collaborative (VT-MC) and Industry 4.0Lab at Vermont Tech, plus other state, regional, and national programs and resources.
VMEC is the Vermont representative of the NIST MEP National Network™ and has beenhosted by the Vermont State Colleges (VSC) at Vermont Technical College (VTC / Vermont Tech) since 1995.
POSITION: The Advanced Manufacturing Technology & Business Growth Advisor is a VTC-VMEC, Full-Time, Exempt and Non-Bargaining Unit (NBU) position.
LOCATION: To Be Determined. Likely home-office based. Could require extensive in-state travel.
COMPENSATION: Competitive Salary. Compensation Includes VSC NBU Administrator benefits package
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Provide industry outreach services for the Vermont Manufacturing Collaborative (VT-MC) and Industry 4.0 lab at VT Tech, Randolph Center Campus.
● Identify VT industry partners and customers for the VT-MC using VMEC CRM, D&B database, VMEC partners, manufacturing and economic development networking events, and other resources.
● Conduct outreach (webinars, one-on-one meetings, presentations, cold calls) to VT manufacturers to learn about their needs and promote awareness of VT-MC and advanced technologies and resources.
● Coordinate an Advanced Manufacturing/Industry 4.0 Technologies webinar series and other webinars, forums, roundtables and workshops.
● Develop and maintain an active list of public/private partnerships (VT and Northeast US) including MEP’s and higher education based and private advanced manufacturing centers.
● Engage with manufacturers to identify business needs and how Additive Manufacturing and other Industry 4.0 technologies could affect those needs.
● Collaborate with VTC Continuing Education and Workforce Development (CEWD) and VT-MC staff and faculty advisors on industry training modules.
● Collaborate with VT-MC Executive Director and Applications Engineer to identify and scope projects with manufacturers resulting in written proposals for contracted services.
● Develop and manage third party delivery resources for advanced manufacturing technology services.
● Manage the post-project MEP client survey process to capture economic impacts of VT-MC projects. Aggregate and report results.
● Prepare quarterly progress reports to the VT-MC Executive Director to highlight and adjust focus areas of industry support and partnership.
● Work with VMEC and VTC Marketing managers to maintain VT-MC and VMEC advanced manufacturing services website content, contribute to articles, blogs, webinar and workshop descriptions, success stories, and other marketing and promotion materials.
● Assist in the development and implementation of a financial sustainability model for the VT-MC.
● Maintain awareness of latest advances and developments in key advanced manufacturing technologies.
● Identify trends, industry drivers, and technology gaps across manufacturers in VT.
● Develop connections to Manufacturing USA Institutes and participate in appropriate MEP National Network™ working groups.
● Collaborate with other VMEC staff to make connections to, referrals for, and/orintegration with other VMEC offerings and services, including in operational excellence, growth, and workforce development.
● Utilize VMEC CRM/Salesforce to record customer interaction and track opportunities throughout the sales process.
● Participate in VMEC’s Strategy Deployment and Strategic Initiatives including to develop and improve systems and standard work.
● Perform other related duties as assigned by the Director & CEO or Director of Client Services
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: General supervision received from VMEC Director of Client
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering plus a minimum of ten (10) years of relevant manufacturing, engineering, and technical sales or consulting experience; or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills are acquired. An advanced degree or second degree that provides cross-functional skills is desirable.
● Familiarity with and passion for advanced manufacturing. Areas include but are not limited to: CNC machining, CAD/CAM, Quality Assurance, Metrology, Automation, Augmented Reality, Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning and other Industry 4.0 technologies
● Product development and/or process engineering experience
● Experience in assessing client needs at the enterprise and process levels, with an emphasis on measurable results. Minimum of two (2) years of consulting experience desirable
● Accountability to commitments, measurable results, and superior customer service
● Must be an open minded, high energy self-starter with a sincere interest in positively impacting the economy and quality of life in Vermont
● Strong communications skills (oral and written) and presentation skills
● Strong planning, organizational, and project management skills with an ability to manage multiple projects
● Ability to comfortably and clearly communicate with client company executives, leaders and employees at all levels
● Ability to work from a home office, work independently, and also work as part of a team that is mission driven and passionate about providing high value-added and high-impact outcomes for a client base in diversified markets
● Successful direct sales and prospecting experience, including consultative questioning and ability to build and maintain long-term client relationships. Demonstrate a high degree of collaboration with internal and external stakeholders
● Must have access to a personal vehicle and be willing to travel extensively within Vermont and occasionally out-of-state
● Valid Driver’s License required
DESIRABLE SKILLS and EXPERIENCES
● Working knowledge of Lean Manufacturing including 5S, Value Stream Mapping, TPM, and Quick Changeover (SMED). Must possess a demonstrated passion for manufacturing, advanced technologies, and continuous improvement
● Additive Manufacturing experience (design principles, methods, applications)
● Front of the room workshop delivery.
● Experience with different CAD software such as SolidWorks, Catea, PTC Creo or
● Able to read and understand detailed shop drawings.
● Manual machining exposure to include mill and lathe operations.
● Understanding of fabrication / job shop opera